During an unprecedented situation like the coronavirus outbreak, this topic is also become highly trending today. Come, let’s see where this topic came from.
On 25 May 2020, George Floyd, who was an African-American, was killed by the police in the US. The reason is that Floyd was using a counterfeit $20 bill in a grocery store. The staff of the grocery store called the police. When the police arrived, Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, pressed his knee to Floyd’s neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds during the arrest and he died.
The entire incident happened on a public street and the public was standing in the vicinity, observing and capturing the entire incident on video. During that time, many people also told the police to remove his knee off from his head and handcuff him and put him in the police van if he needs to be arrested but the police did not listen and George died. So the entire incident was recorded in the video.
These videos went viral all over the world and the police brutality came out from this incident that for such a small crime, the police officer killed a person and also people started to know how the police of the US treat the Public. People were already in the infuriate with the police brutality due to past incident
Due to this, the reason people across the world came out on the street to protest. And this incident was so clearly captured on video that the wrath of the people crossed beyond a limit. these protests turned into violent riots in someplace. And they were protests in more than 400 cities across the US. This incident brings racial between blacks and the white also. Actually George, who was a black person and the policeman who killed him, were white, so this is why people complain that the US police system discriminates against black.
Black Lives Matter (BLM) is an international human rights movement, originating from within the African-American community, which campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people/ BLM were the most outspoken in these Protest and their demand is to put an end to the atrocities against the black people in the US.
Is it really racially biased?
Let us take a look at some facts and regarding this
- Last year, the police in the USA killed around 1000 people. In that 24% of the people killed were blacks and 49% of people were white. And its showing that there is no discrimination against the blacks. But the people who support Black lives matter argue and demand the population be taken into consideration. The population of black is 13% and the population of white is 65% in the USA. So obviously, in proportion to the population more blacks are being killed and this is why these data a picture of racial discrimination.
- In 2019, research by Frank Edwards, a professor of sociology at Rutgers University, showed that a black man was about two and a half times more likely to die than a white man when confronted by the police.
- A Stanford University research team analyzed data collected between 2011 and 2017 from nearly 100 million traffic stops to look for evidence of systemic racial profiling, they found that black drivers were more likely to be pulled over and to have their cars searched than white drivers
- Black Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested. Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted and once convicted, they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences.
- African Americans and whites use drugs at similar rates, but the imprisonment rate of African Americans for drug charges is almost 6 times that of whites.
The racism that infects the very structure of our society, is called systemic racism. You will find this system everywhere, such as society, office, school or college, etc.
Let’s see an example
It is said that blacks are poor than whites. According to one study, white families hold 90% of the national wealth, black families hold 2.6%.
Black workers are twice as likely to be unemployed as white workers overall.
As per the report, Blacks are more homeless as compare to White. Blacks are shown 18% fewer homes and 4% fewer rental units than whites.
Statistics also show that black drivers are about 30% more likely than whites to be pulled over by the police.
In the US, White and Black Americans are about equally likely to use marijuana, but Blacks are 3.7 more likely to be arrested for it
This is the reason why the ancestors of the black people today have lived through such terrible conditions that they owned no houses or property in the US. This is why most of the black people today are poor because they have no carried over wealth.
Racism in India
India is the second-most populous country, the seventh-largest country by area, and the most populous democracy in the world. The culture of India refers collectively to the thousands of distinct and unique cultures of all religions and communities present in India. India’s languages, religions, dance, music, architecture, food, and customs differ from place to place within the country.
If we talk about racism in India, then you already know what the condition in India is. How people with different skin colors are treated and how they’re given preference for being black and white in matrimonial websites.
In this photo, you see that Ishant Sharma has used the word Kallu to Darren Sammy. This is called Racism
It has been 73 years since India got independence. But even today there is discrimination. Caste, religion, language, color have defined by the human being. If you are ST / SC cast, it means you are poor, if you can’t speak English, it means you are illiterate. As per research, Indian society still believes skin colour determines a person’s worth. Here people have also defined the state like if you are from Bihar or UP, meaning that you are in a governer job or a laborer or a criminal, it means the racism has come in everything.
Now, I am showing you a positive photo
This picture right here says a million words. This man Usain Bolt proved that success is beyond race and color. When people from discriminated races/countries will come up and become the role models of everyone.
And the best way to put a stop to this is to begin a change at our homes. By criticizing and disagreeing with the people who use this kind of language in our friends and our family circle confront them and tell them that it is not right to use this kind of language. And it is very important to point out the racial biases that exist within them.
“A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror”. Ken Keyes, Jr.