- Tamil actor Vivekh passes away, condolences pour inby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 10:48 am
He was taken to SIMS hospital in Vadapalani on April 16 morning after he suffered a massive heart attack
- Siddaramiah blames BJP governments for COVID-19 second waveby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 10:43 am
Leader of the Opposition Siddaramaiah on Saturday blamed the BJP governments at the Centre and State for the COVID-19 second wave crisis and said it h
- In pictures | Vivekh, Tamil cinema’s outstanding supporting actorby The Hindu Net Desk on April 17, 2021 at 10:42 am
The actor’s legacy will forever live on, through his memorable characters and legendary one-liners
- Coronavirus live updates | Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops a staggering 3 millionby The Hindu Net Desk on April 17, 2021 at 10:37 am
Sonia calls for reducing immunisation age to 25; Centre to depute 25 doctors, 75 paramedics from paramilitary forces in Gujarat
- JDS leader H.D. Kumaraswamy tests COVID-19 positiveby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 10:36 am
Mr. Kumaraswamy had been campaigning for the party candidate in Basavakalyan, which is going to bypoll today
- COVID-19: Sonia Gandhi presses for reducing immunisation age to 25 years and aboveby Sobhana K. Nair on April 17, 2021 at 10:24 am
The Congress president urges the government to waive GST on medicine and medical equipment, provide ₹6,000 per month to the needy families, among other things.
- Service lane at Thirumangalam junction thrown open for trafficby D. Madhavan on April 17, 2021 at 10:15 am
Due to the delay in road-relaying work, it stayed out of bounds for motorists
- Iran names suspect in Natanz attack, says he fled countryby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 10:15 am
The report also aired what appeared to be an Interpol “red notice” seeking his arrest.
- New bridge at Elephant Gate coming up at a brisk paceby D. Madhavan on April 17, 2021 at 10:09 am
The brisk pace at which the bridge at Elephant Gate is being constructed raises hopes that the facility would be up an functional by March next year.
- DC’s permission mandatory for booking halls for weddingsby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 10:09 am
With COVID-19 cases continuing to increase daily, the State government has made it mandatory to obtain permission from deputy commissioners for bookin
- Flyover in Thiruninravur receives LED street lightsby D. Madhavan on April 17, 2021 at 10:08 am
Notorious for accidents due to non-functional street lights, the time has probably arrived for the Thiruninravur flyover to live down this unsavoury r
- West Bengal elections phase 5 live updates | 54.67% voter turnout recorded till 1 p.m.by The Hindu Net Desk on April 17, 2021 at 10:06 am
Over one crore voters are eligible to exercise their franchise to decide the political fate of 342 candidates
- My phone is being tapped, will order CID probe: Mamataby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 10:02 am
“It is clear that the BJP is behind it.”
- Mask making is a regular activity at this home for abandoned intellectually-challenged children in Chennaiby Liffy Thomas on April 17, 2021 at 9:57 am
Recently, the tailoring unit at Sri Arunodayam in Kolathur was up against a steep target. Three thousand masks had to be delivered to the voluntary or
- Rotary Club of Royapettah adopts Tower Clockby Liffy Thomas on April 17, 2021 at 9:50 am
It plans to take up development works in the neighbourhood
- Follow a micro action and get water-wiseon April 17, 2021 at 9:44 am
Gandhi Peace Foundation is encouraging youngsters to take the ‘One Cup Is Enough’ challenge
- Nagaland forms panel on listing indigenous inhabitantsby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 9:38 am
The NRC-like exercise seeks to filter out the non-original residents of the State
- Fodder scam: Lalu Prasad gets bail in Dumka treasury caseby Amarnath Tewary on April 17, 2021 at 9:32 am
He is currently admitted at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, for medical attention.
- Biden hosts Japan’s Suga for first White House summit; China tops agendaby Reuters on April 17, 2021 at 9:31 am
President Joe Biden hosted Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on Friday as the first foreign leader to visit his White House, underscoring Tokyo’
- PM Modi alleges Trinamool Congress is ‘pressuring Election Commission to thwart polling process’by Shiv Sahay Singh on April 17, 2021 at 9:31 am
Addressing a meeting at Asansol, he said the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was trying all means to ‘subvert and stop the elections’.
- Not wearing masks on railway premises now punishable under Railway Act, fine up to ₹ 500: Railwaysby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 9:30 am
The order also said that this would come into immediate effect for a period of six months till further instructions are issued in this regard.
- PM Modi seeks curtailment of Kumbh Mela amid surge in COVID-19 casesby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 9:30 am
‘I made a suggestion that now that the Shahi Snans were done, the rest of the events could be undertaken in a symbolic way,’ he tweeted about his conversation with Swami Awadeshananda Giri.
- Coronavirus | Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops a staggering 3 millionby AP on April 17, 2021 at 9:29 am
Around the world, the trajectory of the coronavirus and the race to bring it under control vary widely from country to country
- Bypoll underway in three constituencies in Karnatakaby Karnataka Bureau on April 17, 2021 at 8:54 am
Polling is underway in the three byelection-bound constituencies of Belagavi (Lok Sabha), Maski and Basavakalyan (Assembly) in Karnataka.Polling got
- After outcry, WH says Biden will lift refugee cap in Mayby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 8:27 am
Mr. Biden has been consulting with his advisers to determine what number of refugees could realistically be admitted to the United States between now and October 1, the end of the fiscal year.
- Action sought against Kerala CM for violation of Covid protocolby Staff Reporter on April 17, 2021 at 8:19 am
A Kozhikode-based Youth Congress activist has filed a police complaint against Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan for alleged violation of protocol foll
- PM Modi, T.N. CM, leaders condole actor Vivekh’s deathby Special Correspondent on April 17, 2021 at 7:47 am
The 59-year-old actor died early on Saturday morning, after suffering a massive heart attack on Friday
- Coronavirus | Centre to depute 25 doctors, 75 paramedics from paramilitary forces in Gujaratby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 7:23 am
Gujarat is one of the States from where a high number of COVID-19 cases are being reported during the second wave of the pandemic
- COVID-19 surge: All-party meet in Bihar today, Assembly Secretariat shut after 44 staff test positiveby Amarnath Tewary on April 17, 2021 at 6:40 am
Speaker Vijay Kumar Sinha has ordered complete closure of Assembly Secretariat till April 25.
- Interminable wait for licences in city irks applicantsby B. Madhu Gopal on April 17, 2021 at 6:17 am
They say it has been several months since they have applied for one
- COVID-19 surge: Odisha CM wants vaccine in open market, priority to big citiesby Satyasundar Barik on April 17, 2021 at 4:52 am
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Naveen Patnaik cautions against lockdown in metropolises that would have a cascading impact on other areas.
- Actor Sathyaraj on actor Vivekh’s deathon April 17, 2021 at 4:32 am
- COVID-19 surge: Manipur clamps night curfew till April 30by Iboyaima Laithangbam on April 17, 2021 at 3:46 am
There are 165 active cases now in the State with 31 infections being reported during the last 24 hours.
- Meth, gold and arms — How Assam Rifles is trying to stop them from entering Mizoramby Dinakar Peri on April 17, 2021 at 3:15 am
The Assam Rifles faces the twin challenges of checking smuggling and preventing illegal crossings into Mizoram even while overseeing the much-delayed and ambitious Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project. Dinakar Peri reports on the paramilitary force
- Morning digest: Polling for 45 Assembly seats begins in Bengal; Bharat Biotech to make 6 crore Covaxin doses by July, and moreby The Hindu Net Desk on April 17, 2021 at 2:43 am
A select list of stories to read before you start your day.
- Ghaziabad manufacturers asked to stop making industrial-use oxygenby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 1:00 am
They were told to ramp up supply for medical purposes
- HC to hold in-camera proceedings in scribe’s anticipatory bail pleaby Staff Reporter on April 17, 2021 at 12:58 am
Varun Hiremath is accused of rape
- ‘Karnan’ director explains the film’s 1997 settingby Staff Reporter on April 17, 2021 at 12:54 am
‘It was a means to establish context’
- 2 men killed, officer wounded in San Antonio shootoutby PTI on April 17, 2021 at 12:33 am
The incident came one day after a man sought for shooting at busy U.S. 281 from a northern San Antonio flyover overpass was shot dead
- Coronavirus | After Maharashtra’s plea, Railways develops policy to transport liquid medical oxygenby PTI on April 16, 2021 at 10:47 pm
It will be transported in cryogenic containers
- FedEx facility shooting | Four Sikhs killed, five others injuredby PTI on April 16, 2021 at 9:43 pm
About 90% of the workers at this delivery service facility are said to be Indian-Americans, mostly from the local Sikh community.
- China’s GDP grew record 18.3% in Q1by Agence France Presse on April 16, 2021 at 9:24 pm
China’s economy expanded at a record pace in the first quarter as the country continued its rapid recovery from last year’s pandemic-fuelled slump, of
- Srinivas University Founders’ Day todayby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 9:08 pm
The Founders Day celebration of A. Shama Rao Foundation, Srinivas University and Srinivas Group of Institutions and the third Annual Convocation of Sr
- One death, 357 new COVID-19 cases in DK, Udupiby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 9:05 pm
With 256 new COVID-19 cases and a discharge of 92 patients, the active cases in Dakshina Kannada stood at 1,414 on Friday. Among these new cases, 19 a
- TAPMI secures 100% internship placements for latest batchby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 9:02 pm
T.A. Pai Management Institute (TAPMI), Manipal, has achieved 100% internship placements for the batch of 2020-22.Of 555 students in the batch, 537 hav
- Vacation Foster Care programme continues to be in limboby M.P. Praveen on April 16, 2021 at 8:58 pm
DCPU project remains suspended owing to the prevailing pandemic situation
- Yediyurappa met hundreds of people since Wednesdayby Karnataka Bureau on April 16, 2021 at 8:58 pm
He had a meeting on Friday and was at many political rallies in Belagavi on Wednesday and Thursday
- Renewed COVID curbs deal a body blow to hotel industryby Staff Reporter on April 16, 2021 at 8:57 pm
City-based hotels report significant drop in business
- 15 policemen get COVID-19 daily, says Commissioner of Policeby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 8:49 pm
City Police Commissioner Mahesh Kumar Aggarwal on Friday said that at least 15 police personnel fell ill daily due to COVID-19 in the city. He inaugur
- IGNOU extends admission deadlineby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 8:41 pm
The Indira Gandhi National Open University has extended the last date for the January 2021 admission session till April 30. The extension of last date
- Raul Castro confirms he’s resigning, ending long era in Cubaby AP on April 16, 2021 at 8:25 pm
His retirement means that for the first time in more than six decades Cubans won’t have a Castro formally guilding their affairs
- Varsity postpones examsby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Pondicherry University has postponed all theory and practical exams scheduled from April 19 across affiliated colleges until further notice due to the
- NABARD supports digitisation of SHGs in Tiruvannamalaiby Special Correspondent on April 16, 2021 at 8:21 pm
PLP focuses on collectivisation of agricultural produce for improving farmers’ income
- Two killed in road accidentsby Staff Reporter on April 16, 2021 at 8:21 pm
A bike rider was killed in a hit and run in Jakkur on Thursday night. The deceased, Jayant, 27, hailed from Hindupur, Andhra Pradesh, and worked as an